Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Mama!


WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well.”
-Elizabeth Bennett


            Happy birthday, mama.  I both love you and think well of you.  Here’s why:

#1: You are the kindest person I know.  It’s odd and I don’t get it but my mother is the nicest person on the face of this earth.  (Although she does speed up when she sees squirrels in the road…she’ll deny this.)  Ashley Hollingsworth could say nice things about a brick wall.  She talks to every stranger that she meets, to my dad’s, brother’s, and my horror, including waiters at restaurants, taxi drivers, and people sitting next to us at movies…wildly inappropriate.  Over the years, I’ve grown to see my mom as the peace bringer.  I don’t want to speak for everyone but I’m going to but my I think my mom brings peace and sheds general goodness in all of her friend circles and in our family.  She also makes the rest of us look pretty bad.  Thanks mom.




#2: You are a fabulous cook.  My mama can make everything in the whole world and she make it taste delicious.  I can’t recount the number of delicious soups she’s made me when I was feeling sick, the delicious cakes that make up birthday memories, the tiny finger sandwiches she used to make for our mother daughter Christmas party, or the yummy hot chocolate she has whipped up for countless snow days in Charlotte. 


#3: You love stronger than anyone I know.  While neither of my parent’s love ever ceases to amaze me, my mom’s type of love is truly remarkable and unique.  Her presence envelops you and makes you feel like there is nothing you could do to disappoint her.  While there are in fact many things that you could do, she would love you nonetheless.  She has this uncanny ability of making each person she meets feel like her favorite.  (But we all know it’s really me J)



#4: She has terrible taste in movies.  This makes for entertaining stories you see and it gives her quirkiness and let’s be real…who doesn’t love quirky?  My mother could watch Pride and Prejudice ‘til the cows come home.  She loves Groundhog Day and While You Were Sleeping, which, if we are being honest, are not stellar choices.  But I’d watch any one of them with her any day. I will never watch Twilight though, Mom.  That is a disgrace to mankind.

I really don’t know what else to say.  There are so many things that I love about you, Mom, but really you’re just special.  Love ya.  Miss ya.  Mean it.
Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment