Sunday, August 26, 2012

Boys' Session 2012


WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

“Thank heaven for dirty dishes.  They have a tale to tell, while other folks go hungry, we’re eating very well. With home, and health, and happiness we shouldn’t want to fuss, by this stack of evidence God’s very good to us.”


Well as soon as my sweet campers left me at Marymount, I rolled up my sleeves and headed for the kitchen.  Yes, I am working boys’ session at Camp Marymount on kitchen crew.  What does this mean you might wonder…it means I clean dishes for about an hour, 3 times a day and then I get to hang out with kids, swim in the lake, take naps, and hang out with friends for the remainder of the day.  It’s a hard knock life.  I seriously could not have asked for a better job this summer.  My partners in crime coworkers in the kitchen are the best bunch of girls to work with that a kitchen lady like me could ask for. 
            Working boys’ session is very different than working girls session for a number of different reasons, many of which I was surprised by.  First of all, little boys are a little bit wussy.  When things drop on the floor or spill during girls’ session, our girls pick it up, wipe it off, and move on.  When things drop on the floor or spill during boys’ session, the world is over-tears ensue, angry faces are rendered, and fists are thrust into the air like angry versions of John Bender in The Breakfast Club.  In addition to the campers being different (but GREAT) than our wonderful little girls, the boy counselors run things a bit differently than us girls.  Instead of activities like Gold Rush, Marymount Prom, and dance parties, the boys spend their nights doing WrestleMania, Justice League (an event in which counselors dress up as superheroes and “fight” to the death to determine the best hero.  WHY???), and Battleball, a frightening game in which everyone is split into two teams and a very aggressive game of dodge ball ensues.  Terrifying.
            My days during boys’ session were spent laughing in the kitchen and laying out by the lake. You will be pleased to know that I have mastered almost every dive in the book: swan, tuck, pike, inward, etc.  I have high hopes of trying out for the 2016 summer Olympics dive team.  I can also do a front flip and a dive off the zip line now! Needless to say, my summer was very productive. 
            It is impossible to express how much I learned this summer and how much I loved my time spent here.  I am grateful to my grandparents and my parents for making it possible for me to enjoy such a beautiful place for so many years.  Until next time, “This was goodnight and not goodbye.”

Love ya.  Miss ya. Mean it.
Kane

The summer in photos.  Enjoy...
the girls at the lake:

climbing trees:

time off:

slip-n-slide Marymount style:

Marymount ladies:

i jumped off that "cliff"!!

that's me at the window collecting dishes:

the beautiful Lever Lake:

a young boy seeking shelter behind the basketball goal during a vicious game of Battleball:

Boys' final campfire:

FRIENDS:

The kitchen girls:

what a wonderful summer...









No comments:

Post a Comment