Monday, August 27, 2012

Scarlet B. Goodnow


WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes in to my life gifts me with a piece of their heart.  If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”
-Anonymous


            11 years ago, I walked in to my mom’s friends, The Goodnow’s house to visit the new puppies their dog had just had.  There in the middle of their living room sat the cutest little black nugget I ever saw.  She was wearing a red rickrack ribbon around her neck and she looked up at me with the sweetest eyes…and then she peed.  Shamelessly, right there on the Goodnow’s rug that puppy peed and then she came bouncing towards me and I knew she would be OUR new puppy.  I had no idea then that Scarlet, as she came to be called because of her red neck ribbon, would become one of the greatest dogs, not just that my family has had, but ever. 
            Scarlet always believed herself to be the comfortable size of a football, the perfect size to sit in your lap, climb all over you, and be held like a baby.  She was notorious for her less than comfortable crotch greetings and she always appreciated a little petting lovin’.  To say that Scarlet loved ducks and tennis balls would be the understatement of the year.  She would go BERZERK at the mention of one of her beloved toys and run for hours in our backyard chasing after them.  Then she would come inside and lay right in the middle of wherever you wanted to be snuggle.  She was kind, smart, and funny as hell.  I remember being little and pretending to cry with my face in the pillow.  Scarlet would come sprinting for me and begin incessantly nudging at my face until she realized I was all right.  She had this serious concern for our family that was incredibly impressive.  It has always amazed me that dogs have the ability to make you feel comforted.  They can’t talk; they can’t hug us, yet they radiate love and make us feel protected in some way. 


Scarlet taking it upon herself to comfort me when i had my wisdom teeth removed:

too much love for her duckies:

ducks, and babies, and friends oh my!


            I don’t want to be that girl who says that their dog was more than just a dog, but a member of the family, although my dad was often heard yelling Scarlet’s name instead of mine by mistake.  She will always hold a dear place in each of our hearts.  We loved her every day and she will be missed.

If Scarlet could talk...









Love ya.  Miss ya.  Mean it.
Kane

1 comment: