Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 1

Hello all!
at the request of my beloved aunt ashley, i have decided to begin a weekly email to inform all of you of what it is like to be a college student at chapel hill in the year 2011. i am going to try to update y'all on my recent triumphs, failures, and acquired knowledge.  i miss you all already and i hope that this will help to keep me in touch with you guys until we meet again.  so without further adieu:
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD:
to begin, i would like to share with you a few basic things that i have learned about being in the real world during my first week at school...
#1: Everyone either is, or thinks, they are smarter than you. Just today I was sitting in church and introduced myself to the boy next to me.  Would you like to know what he has been doing here at Chapel Hill for the last 8 years? Getting his PhD in nuclear physics.  He is definitely smarter than I am.  When he asked what I wanted to do I said, “uhhhh, I want to write about shoes.” …hello my name is incomparable.
#2: Librarians frown upon you leaving your self defense spike on the table while you’re studying. I mean don’t they know what kind of crazies want to attack you on a Sunday afternoon while you’re studying politics?  If they do, they don’t care and “kindly request you leave your weapons at home.”
#3: When in doubt, dry clothes on MEDIUM heat.  I will now have to stop eating all together in order to fit back into what was once my favorite pair of jeans L
#4: Rooms don’t clean themselves!!!! (This one goes out to you mom) Turns out in the real world, you actually have to make your own bed, take out the trash, sort the recycling, wash dishes (by hand no less), and iron!  I know right, CRAZY????
#5: Not every public bus goes to the same place…this was a tricky one to learn my friends.  One day I walked all the way down to South Campus, which is about a 30 minute walk from where I live.  I decided to get on the bus to go back to my dorm thinking that it would go somewhere in the vicinity of where I live and I could walk the rest of the way…boy was I wrong!   Turns out we have a bus that will take you all the way to Duke.  Lucky for me, the bus driver was kind enough to take me to Franklin St. where I thought I had rightly earned a frozen yogurt from “The Yogurt Pump”.  No more busses for me

That’s all I have to share for now but I will be certain to update you next weekend when I have learned even more about myself, the world, college, and most importantly: Italian, the newest edition to my class schedule!!!
Love to all,
Kane

No comments:

Post a Comment