Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 6

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
Quote of the week:
 “In three words I can sum up everything I know about life: it goes on.”
                                                                                                            --Robert Frost

Yes, life goes on.  It continues past the bombed exams, the terrible dates, and the rainy days.  Once again, hello loved ones.  I hope so much that y’all have had a good week!  The start of mine had me convinced that I might be headed back to Charlotte to take classes at the local community college and be bunkin’ it with good ole’ Craig and Ash again, but things took a turn for the better and I am pleased to report that I have survived yet another week of the real world!!

Things I’ve learned this week:
#1: Babysitting is underrated.  I never thought that I would say it but I have missed the world of rugrats way too much!  This week I dabbled in the art once again and was thrilled with the results!! I babysat for a woman named Kara Kooken and her three girls Elliot, Ellen, and Franny.  They were awesome. Nuff said. I was able to spend time in a real house, with real dogs, with a real tv, making real food, watching really awesome little girls perform plays for me with dress up and stuffed animals.  My night could not have been more perfect and I left with a happy heart, a well rested soul, and a new bit of knowledge compliments of the 10 year old Ellen: “When a dog shows you their tummy it means ‘I am your humble servant.’”

#2: Always give too much detail.  This bit of advice was applied to quite a few things in my life this week.  It was first applicable when it came time to study for my very first American Government and Politics exam.  I clearly need to inquire for more deets next time I’m in class so that I will not receive a 78 (??!?!?!) on my next exam.  Yes that was bad my friends, but luckily not as bad as the class average: 74.  You win some you lose some I guess.  This advice can also be applied when giving instruction to my very lovable roommate.  I am super concerned about locking the door at night when I go to sleep.  Mackenzie, my roommate, thinks that this means lock it AND THEN close it so that the door is propped open all night. Um no…more detail next time for sure!

#3: Mustaches are bad, but a lack of personality is worse.  Tri Delta had its first cocktail on Friday and I took a boy from Beta Fraternity that is currently the “Dirty Sanchez” pledge.  For those of you who do not know what that is, I will explain.  Will, my date, has to grow out his super thick, mexi ‘stache until the end of pledging.  Can I get a catcall?  Anyway, I was super excited about our cocktail because it was New Years themed and I got dressed in my best sequined dress, most painful shoes, and donned some long, sparkly fake eyelashes.  And what do I get in return for all my efforts?  A dud date.  He did not joke about his mustache and worse, he did not want to dance.  Here is my response to that my friend: “Sorry bout the ‘stache, I’m goin’ to groove.” And groove I did! The band was awesome and I danced into the night with anyone and everyone, except Mr. Dirty Sanchez.  I will be bringing a Clef Hanger to the next Tri Delt event…sans mustache.
#4: A little sand and a lot of sugar can cleanse the soul.  This weekend my pledge class hopped on a charter bus with “Lonnie” and drove to Wrightsville Beach for our pledge retreat.  We ate lots of Greek salad, cupcakes, and pita chips, talked all night and practiced French braids of all varieties!  The house we stayed in was beautiful but not as beautiful as the beach with 50 smiling girls on it!! To top the weekend off, I met up with my parents and our lab Scarlet for a quick hug and a laugh then hopped back on the bus to come back “home”. It was so much fun and as I am sitting in my dorm with clean laundry and a brain full of saltwater memories, I am refreshed for the week, which is scheduled to include Werewolf movies, courtesy of my LIT teacher, lots of reading from A Passage to India, and hopefully lots more college memories!!

I miss you all more than you could know and want to hear about what is going on outside the old brick walls of this campus so update me PLEASE!!!!!! Love you. Miss you. Mean it. Life goes on.
Kane

Pictures from this week:

Elliot, Franny, Ellen, and their panda family!!


Pledge Retreat!! (I’m in the back row, middle, in the Carolina blue!)

No comments:

Post a Comment