Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 3

Hello loved ones, hope everyone is doing well!  This week in the real world has been very exciting!!! I rushed sororities and am thrilled to say that I am now a DELTA DELTA DELTA!!!! Ahhhh it’s so exciting!! I love my pledge class and there are a few girls from Myers Park in it with me and I think that we are going to have so much fun this year, beginning with our first mixer on Tuesday with Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Kappa Epsilon, and Phi Delta! Yay!!  I have attached a few pics of my new sisters and some pictures of the girls on my hall so that those of you who do not have Facebook (can’t quite understand why not?) may see my new best friends!  And now on to the regular list of occurrences and newfound knowledge of the real world:

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
#1: Those of you who see me often know that I am partial to the jort-a clothing item that can best be described as jean shorts.  I LOVE jorts!! What isn’t too love: the high waist is flattering (yes I said it Mary Carlisle), they’re vintage, they’re versatile, and overall they’re just super cute…or so I thought.  Turns out the real world is not as receptive to my unique fashion choice.  I put them on for a leisurely day of all day studying and laundry and what am I met with?  Expressions of horror and disappointment.  Despite the real world’s criticism of the ever-flattering jean short, I have concluded that they are here to stay; I just love them and that’s that.

#2: Once again the real world’s weather has wreaked havoc on my life!  Since moving to Chapel Hill, I have experienced dorm fire, hurricane warnings, torrential downpours, and now a tornado?!?  The real world does not seem to care that I have stickler teachers who expect you to show up to class during a tornado lockdown…and we had two!  Lucky for me, I have attached my phone to something called “Alert Carolina” and I get warning texts when there is a natural disaster or a campus threat of some sort.  Unlucky for the people who were walking outside without a phone warning I guess…All was well in the end though, the tornado passed through without any damage or inflicted injuries and I was able to sprint to my class just in time to hear my teacher say that class was cancelled for the day and that we still had homework. Yay.

#3:  I like to think that I make a good impression, but I think that the real world wants me to experience some embarrassment so that I can roll with the punches.  Dear Real World,
I would kindly appreciate it if you would stop muddling around in my life.  I embarrass myself enough without your intervention.
Yours truly, Rush Failure.
Allow me to explain dear family and friends…For those of you who do not know, during Rush, we girls parade around in our best outfits to each of the ten sorority houses on campus, smiling and making small talk until you can literally recite the most relevant facts about yourself in less than ten seconds flat. (Kane, like a candy cane but with a K, journalism major, 1 older brother, live in Granville, yes I love it here but it’s SUCH a transition. Oh my gosh you’re from Charlotte too???? No way!!)  If ever you are trying to sell yourself, this is it.  Each sorority pairs you with girls who try and pull out the best smiles and enthusiastic responses.  It’s a general rule of mine to avoid smiling or being enthusiastic so this was a hard process for me from the beginning.  You factor in a simple thing like offering me a glass of water and you’re going to witness a train wreck.  Yes my friends, I was that girl, you know the one who is trying to be so SUPER DUPER EXCITED J about what you’re saying that she makes an encouraging hand gesture and dumps water all over herself.  Mom and Dad, you should be so proud.  Yes, thanks for that real world, cause I didn’t have quite enough to handle at that current moment.  But seriously, I was invited back to the sorority…they must have really wanted to hear about all the classes I’m taking and what my favorite reality TV show is.

#4: Something that I love about the real world: everyone wears heels!!!!!!!!!! Yayayayayayyayay the day has finally come and I am in my element!! In high school, sandals and flats were all the rage and now the world has been set right and we women wear wedges!! Props to you real world, my hat is off (and my heels are on).

#5: Priorities change in the real world.  Every year, my mom goes on a beach trip with her girlfriends from college.  (Sidenote: I am desperately wishing that the girls I meet this year and I stay as close as my mom has with her friends!!) Besides drinking specialty drinks on the front porch, indulging in pimento cheese, and reading their books on the beach, the girls also purchase lottery tickets each beach trip.  If they win, they split the money.  It has been a long-standing tradition in my family of my dad, whit, my mom, and myself to make our mom promise us things with her lottery money.  My dad always asks for a 50-foot boat, I for jewels and a shed clubhouse of my own, and Whit for some extravagant car.  This year I downsized a little in my lottery requests.  If the “Queens Girls” win the lottery, I am happy to announce that I will be receiving a new curling iron and a Herend ram…go heels! ...And go college!

So this is how the real world has been operating this week, hope you enjoyed hearing about it as much as I have enjoyed living it (well, most of it.) Some of you have mentioned your desire for some Chapel Hill gear and I will be making a trip into the calamity that is the student store sometime this week to fulfill orders.  If you need something, whether it be a tarheel tie, a Carolina blue water bottle, a sticker, or a t shirt of sorts, just let me know the color and size and I’ll get it to you as soon as I can!  Last thing: I am beginning my first 5-page paper of college and it has to be an argumentative paper on the topic of vampires.  I HATE vampires and the recent vampire craze drives me of the wall but I don’t have much of a say in the matter and so I would appreciate any ideas for a paper thesis or topic that any of you may have (particularly geared towards the novel Dracula or the movie Twilight).   Hit me with your best shot guys!! I would really appreciate it! As always, love you miss you mean it.
Kane
Bid day!!
 Amy and me on bid day!!
 The hall girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment