Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 9

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

“The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.”
-Maya Angelou

            Alright, I have a good excuse for the delay on the issue this week: today is my dad’s forty fifth 21st birthday and I wanted to give a special tribute that would only make sense today…plus I spent most of last night unpacking from fall break and studying for my lit class. Er… Anyway, I’m back in action, sans blog because being the least technologically gifted person that I am, that is taking longer than expected as well! Regardless, welcome to my week:

#1: Fall Break!!!!!! After days of studying for exams, taking exams, and awaiting grades on exams, I finally packed myself up on Wednesday and returned home to Charlotte for the first time in two months!!  As I walked through the front door of 3901 Brookfield Dr., I half expected a Kane shrine to be erected in our living room, but I quickly realized nothing had changed at the Hollingsworth household: our fat yellow lab Fiona was still snoozing on the couch where I left her two months previously, and the same sound of the dryer and smell of shepherd’s pie greeted me.  While I had big plans of getting ahead on the mountain of work I brought with me, I spent my weekend watching a high school football game, eating way too much frozen yogurt with high school friends, and sleeping in!  It was just what I needed and when my friend Claire pulled into my driveway on Sunday to bring me back home (?), I bitterly loaded up my fall clothes and returned to my house at the Hill. 

#2: Working with other people can be hard in the real world.  Case in point: I had to meet with three other people for my “Intro to Fiction” class to compose a class presentation this week. While organizing a meeting around 4 people’s schedules is difficult on its own, it is particularly difficult trying to organize a meeting when one of the group’s members is also involved in “Humans vs. Zombies”.  Yes my friends, that is real thing, and before you burst out into hysterics let me give you some reasons to laugh.  First of all, when the group finally decided on a place to meet, the member in question told us to look for him, he would be wearing a yellow armband.  I thought to myself, weirdo!!!!!   alright, maybe he just wants to make it easy for us to get together.  I was wrong.  When I arrived at the entrance to Davis library, I found my yellow armband clad classmate crouching behind a column.  I wandered over to affirm that he was in my group and inquire about the odd accessory.  The spiel began: “I am participating in ‘Humans vs. Zombies’, a lively game in which three zombies are appointed to attack the humans and try to wipe out the population.  Zombies wear a brown headband and humans wear yellow armbands to signal to the others that we are involved in the mission.”  You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.  If the initial shock of this peculiar task was not enough, my attention was then drawn to the three pairs of socks clutched in my “human” classmate’s hands.  “What are the socks for?” I asked.  “Socks are used to stun the zombies so that you have an opportunity to escape.”  Shut. The. Front. Door.  I mean this kid was being serious!  I had to resist bursting into fits of laughter as he proceeded to explain that humans would walk around campus surrounded by bodyguards equipped with nerf guns to protect against the zombies.  Needless to say, I am now an expert on this type of sci-fi enthusiast and I will be choosing my group more carefully come next time…

#3: Daddy is growing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Happy Birthday to the best dad I ever had!  These are just a few of the things I have learned from Craig:
--Cars have this thing called oil in them…it has to be changed.
--It is never a good idea to jump the curb on your bike.  No good gonna come of that.
--It is inappropriate to talk during a NASCAR race.
--Things can be replaced.  People can’t.
You’re irreplaceable Nacho Libre ;)
(Pictures attached!!)
Ta ta for now friends!  Let me know what is the latest scoop in your lives J
Love,
Human (for now) Kane.
Dad and Whit:

Dad and Me:

Dad and Mom:







No comments:

Post a Comment