Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 5

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD
“Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.”
-Nelms
While I would care if each and every one of you were miserable, I am trying to take this quote for the bigger meaning by greeting each day with a certain preconceived happiness.  After all, I’m here to make me happy so here are a few of the things that made me happy this week:

#1: I don’t know how many of you are familiar with “big/little” in sororities but they basically pair the new girls (me) with an older girl that will be your “big” for the rest of your time in the sorority.  This week we were matched with our bigs and I quite possible have the greatest big of all time and the greatest family of all time because her big and grandbig are equally as awesome!!! The theme for the reveal was “rocker/groupie” and what else would I wear but shiny leggings, a cut up wolf t-shirt and red lipstick?  Nothing but a studded bracelet!! The reveal was so much fun and I could not be more excited to have Amy as my big.  Here is a link to her blog about the festivities: http://gilmer-girl.blogspot.com/2011/09/rockers-and-groupies.html

#2: The elevators are broken in Granville Towers, my home away from home.  Before you call me crazy for thinking this is a source of joy let me elaborate.  First of all, I live on floor 2 so I don’t use the elevator that much anyways and end up taking the stairs so the broken elevator has not hindered me all that much.  It has however trapped its first victim. Bahahah Now I know that it is a bit cruel for me to take pleasure in someone else’s embarrassment but they got him out and he was fine, but during the period of time where he was stuck in the elevator, we yelled encouraging things to him through the shaft.  What a trooper!

#3: I have inadvertently incurred a lot of injuries this week.  While I’m not thrilled about the injuries, they make good stories and I had fun doing them!!
·      I LOVE to groove!! I am a dancer at heart and when an opportunity presents itself, I am the first to step onto the dance floor…or fall.  Oh yes, I took quite a tumble this week while walking onto the dance floor.  For all you skeptics out there, no drinking was involved.  It was just an ordinary night down an ordinary flight of stairs with a not so ordinary hip thrust that ended with me and my booty on the floor.  My elbow may never return to its original color…
·      I did habitat for humanity for the first time since I’ve been in Chapel Hill on Saturday and it was AWESOME!!  My church is sponsoring a house in a habitat community and we are working (through the rain I might add!!!) to get the floors installed.  I arrived on sight eager to get started.  And then they put a hammer in my hand and boy was I excited!  Turns out, hammering is not my forte and I was quickly staring at a mangled mess of blue foam board insulation with nails going in at every angle but the right one and what was I left with?  A blistered hand and a smile J I told the site manager that the next time I come back, it might be in everyone’s best interest if I am in charge of  a non hammering aspect of the build.

#4: For those of you who don’t know, I applied a few weeks ago to a program called “Best Buddies” that pairs college students with adults who have both high and low functioning mental disabilities. I wasn’t expecting to get the opportunity but I did and today was the first event for the program: a leisurely picnic, animal crackers and soccer balls galore!! Unfortunately, my “best buddy” Brandy was sick so she couldn’t make it to the picnic.  I did get to hang out with another buddy named Katie though and she was great!! We bonded over our love for dogs.  I told her about my yappy Toto dog, Bonkers, and she told me about her imaginary dog named Buddy.  She got him 7 years ago at the pound and he sleeps in the bed with her…but only if he’s been good of course.  Buddy doesn’t get along that well with her cat Cheyenne but Katie thinks that Bonkers and Buddy could be good friends because they both bark a lot.  Katie and I both dislike loud noises so we are going to let the dogs bond outside we think!  Anyway, I will keep y’all updated when I found out more about my own buddy Brandy; I can’t wait!!

#5: Serenading sweethearts…oh the UNC Clef Hangers.  Loves of my life.  My friend Simon promised me that he would bring me some of their CD’s for me to burn onto my computer and he finally came through!! You know how bees swarm to honey?  Well girls swarm to a sweet singin’ boy in a similar manner and when the girls on my hall found out he was here, my room became the place to be! I’m still working on finding a cute Clef date to my upcoming cocktail, but until then I will have their sweet voices to keep me company.  If you want a CD just let me know!

Another week down, now I’m on to the next.  I have my first exam Tuesday in Costume History and then another one on Wednesday in American Government and Politics.  Also I am babysitting on Tuesday, something that I miss sooooo much!  I am seriously hoping that the night’s festivities will provide me with some interesting commentary that I can relay to you all.  Please please please let me know what’s going on with y’all so I don’t feel like I am boring a cricketing crowd!! Love you. Miss you. Mean it.

Kane
Dressed for big lil' rocker reveal!


No comments:

Post a Comment